Behavior Support Services Information
Behavior Support Services
Purpose: The role of School Psychologists and Behavior Specialists (within the context of Behavior Support) is to provide assistance/support to administrators, staff members, and teachers of students with disabilities (as well as those in the TST process) who demonstrate chronic and/or significant behavioral-related concerns. Services include:
- Providing professional development related Classroom Management Skills, Conducting Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA), the development of individual Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP’s), Risk Assessment, Verbal De-escalation, and modeling of positive behavior supports (PBS/PBIS)
- Supporting and facilitating the development of FBAs and BIPs in conjunction with special education teachers and school-based teams.
- Providing consultative services to school-based teams regarding significant behavioral emotional concerns
- Assisting the IEP team is determining appropriate placement
- Developing and facilitating safety, re-entry, transition, and other specialized plans to support student learning.
- Facilitating and supporting behavioral data collection (e.g, Review 360, direct observation, etc.)
- Consulting with principals regarding disciplinary issues and data.Consulting with parents and other stakeholders to address the behavioral/social/and emotional needs of students within the district.
Behavior Support Services - Announcements
CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training DatesWe are excited to provide the enhanced version of CPI’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training program to the PGSD staff. This program will help to improve your school's overall environment by providing teachers and staff members with strategies and techniques designed to prevent the escalation of violent/aggressive behaviors and appropriately handle these situations when they occur. In order to become certified through this program, participants must complete the full 12 hour course (1 full day and 1 half day). In order to accommodate the large number of employees within the district, this learning opportunity is scheduled to take place on several dates during the fall semester. Please click the following link to see the course schedule and register: CPI Fall Registration Form
Chase McCullum (Lead School Psychologist) and Ms. Kristen Sims (Behavior Specialist) will be teaching the above courses. Please note that only a limited number individuals may participate in each session. Therefore, it is best to register early!
PGSD Behavior Support Services-Available TrainingsThe staff members within our department have developed a number of training opportunities that may be beneficial to teachers and staff within the district. We are excited to support you with regard to your training needs. At this time, available training options include:
- Tier 3 Behavioral Intervention
- Classroom Management
- Verbal De-Escalation
- Supporting/Intervening with Oppositional Students
- Supporting/Intervening with Students with ADHD
- Supporting/Intervening with Students with Emotional Disabilities
- Supporting/Intervening with Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
If you are interested in one of our staff members presenting at your school site, please contact your assigned school psychologist and/or behavior specialist.