In order to be accepted at competitive colleges you need:
- A strong Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Strong SAT or ACT scores
- To take challenging courses such as PreAP and AP
- A demonstrated, well rounded student experience; such as, participation in athletics, clubs, and other student organizations
- Job and volunteer experience in the community is a definite plus
- Leadership roles, large or small
- Good essay writing skills
- Find out what the college you want to attend requires for high school courses to be accepted into their program.
- Consult with your counselor to be sure you are taking all the courses you need, not only to graduate, but to be accepted into your selected college.
- Prepare for the college entrance exams and take them early in case you need to re-take to make higher scores.
- Organize your college selection materials, college entrance exams, and essay writing materials. Refer to them often checking dates for scholarships, financial assistance, registration, and admission deadlines.
College Planning Tools
College Search Engines
College Board College Search
U. S. News College Rankings